• Todd Drezner, Loving Lamppost’s director: Learning to Embrace Autism
• San Francisco Chronicle: Meet the Autism War: Devastating Illness or Neurodiversity?
• Shannon Des Roches Rosa: Loving Lampposts: Accepting and Understanding Neurodiversity
• Todd Drezner: @lovinglampposts
• NYT on Seth Mnoonkin’s The Panic Virus: Defending Vaccination Once Again, With Feeling
• Photo essay from The Atlantic: Autism Awareness Month
• Great comment thread on my “sibling influence on theory of mind in autism” post http://t.co/pCPD3bm now includes author describing follow-up
• Uta Frith retweeted: Auditory processing disorder could be a misnomer: not a cause of language problems but incidental. By Deevybee: http://wp.me/pJJaZ-1gz
• Francesca Happe on why Asperger’s should not be a separate category in DSM-5 http://bit.ly/hf1NF6
• Michelle Dawson retweeted: Early development is crucial in autism except now it doesn’t matter: commented on Francesca Happe on DSM-5 & Asperger’s http://j.mp/h1zXHo
“I agree that the political arguments over removing Asperger’s arise only because of how negatively, and wrongly, autistics have been portrayed.
But in my view things are more interesting at a research level.
On one hand, there’s the rush towards ever earlier autism detection and intervention, on the assumption that early development is critical and should be as typical–as un-delayed–as possible.
Now on the other hand, there’s the DSM-5, which says that for autistics, a lot of early development doesn’t really matter. You start speaking at 12 months or at 5yrs, this in itself doesn’t matter for outcomes or anything else. You do or don’t have delays in basic abilities? Doesn’t matter.”
Elsewhere on the Web:
• thAutcast.com: An Autistic Critic– Citizen Kane (On David Fincher’s film The Social Network)
• 13×30: Visible & Vulnerable
Shift Journal a Year Ago:
• Andrew Lehman: Accompanying the Metaphor
• Mark Stairwalt: Publicist: Must Be Willing to Out Prominent Autistics
• Andrew Lehman: Alloparents and Evolution
• Mark Stairwalt: On Styles of Consciousness, Autism Included